The architecture of Corinth Reformed Church, Hickory, North Carolina is reminiscent of a fine European cathedral. The exterior of the building is of gray Georgia granite with Indiana limestone trim. The spire is of extruded and structural aluminum rising 164 ft. 6 in. from the terrace floor at the entrance. The belfry below the spire is built up of carved and molded limestone tracery, giving a lacy and ethereal feeling to the church tower. The main entrance is of limestone having carvings similar to those found on French Gothic churches.
A small town – Hawkshead – offers the opportunity to ride on a bicycle and attend church
Hawkshead is a village and civil parish in Cumbria, England. The township of Hawkshead was originally owned by the monks of Furness Abbey. Hawkshead grew to be an important wool market in medieval times and later as a market town after the Dissolution of the Monasteries in 1532. It was granted its first market charter by King James I in 1608.
St Michaels and All Angels Parish Church and Cemetery overlooks the town of Hawkshead.
Bath Abbey is a parish church of the Church of England and former Benedictine monastery in Bath, Somerset, England. Founded in the 7th century, it was re-organised in the 10th century and rebuilt in the 12th and 16th centuries.
St George’s Chapel at Windsor Castle is a place of worship for The Queen and the Royal Family as well as a church serving the local community. Built by kings, shaped by the history of the Royal Family and still the location for both splendid Royal events.
The construction of the Chapel was begun in 1475 by Edward IV and completed by Henry VIII in 1528. The architecture represents one of the finest examples of ‘Perpendicular Gothic’ style in England.
Duke University Chapel, like many Christian churches and cathedrals, is cruciform, with a nave that measures 291 feet long, 63 feet wide, and 73 feet high. The walls and vaults of the nave and transepts are constructed from Guastavino tile and were sealed in 1976 to increase sound reverberation and enhance the sound of the organ.
Reflections off church windows in Charlotte, North Carolina
The pride of Spirit Square is the 730-seat McGlohon Theater, named in honor of the late legendary jazz pianist Loonis McGlohon of Charlotte. With beautiful stained glass windows and a cupola, this space served as the First Baptist Church sanctuary for many years. The theater has been carefully restored to preserve and enhance its unique architectural details.
Interesting reflections on arched windows of an old church in Charlotte, North Carolina
A bench to rest at the gardens of St. Peter’s Episcopal Church in Charlotte
Benches to sit while awaiting doors to open at St. Peter’s Episcopal Church in downtown Charlotte
Christ Episcopal Church and Parish House is a historic Episcopal church located in New Bern, North Carolina. It was built in 1871, incorporating the brick shell of the previous church built in 1824. It is a brick church building in a restrained Gothic Revival style.
Centenary United Methodist Church in New Bern, North Carolina has numerous colored glass and stained glass windows. In addition to the original glass which lines its library, sanctuary and chapel walls, newer stained glass panels are mounted in the narthex doors, showing a history of Centenary Church.
Centenary Methodist Church is a historic church located in New Bern, North Carolina. It was built in 1904-1905, and is an irregularly shaped, brick multiple-use church complex. The front facade includes an entrance five-bay arcade beneath a low conical roof flanked by square corner towers of unequal height.
It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1972
A natural sunset sky backdrop for a church in Hickory, North Carolina
A brilliant sunset sky creates a striking silhouette of a church
Of the structures in public use in Yosemite National Park, the Yosemite Valley Chapel is now the oldest. This little New England style church was built under the sponsorship of the California State Sunday School Association, partly by subscriptions from the children, but mainly from the voluntary contributions of prominent members of the Association.
Although the Chapel continues today primarily as a house of worship, over the years it has become a popular wedding destination due to the spectacular setting and the quaint beauty of the building. The first Chapel wedding took place on October 24, 1884.
In addition to the Golden Altar at Iglesia San Jose (the Church of San Jose) in Casco Viejo, Panama City, it also has some very nice stained glass windows.
This one is dedicated to Saint Rita of Cascia, the Patron Saint of Lost Causes.
and this one to Saint Augustine of Hippo.
The massive Golden Altar of Iglesia San Jose is remarkable. The towering structure isn’t actually solid gold–it’s carved mahogany that has been covered in gold leaf (and paint). but looks opulent
Perhaps the most remarkable is the story about why it’s still around to see. It survived the pirate Henry Morgan’s looting of Panama Viejo in 1671. Legend has it that a priest disguised it by painting it black and then convinced Morgan that it had already been stolen. After Panama Viejo was abandoned in the wake of Morgan’s raid, the altar was later moved to its present location in Iglesia San Jose, one of Casco Viejo’s many churches.
An electrical fire destroys this church and the only thing remaining looks like a facade