The Somnath temple was reconstructed several times in the past after repeated destruction by multiple Muslim invaders and rulers over India.
The present temple is a Māru-Gurjara architecture (also called Chaulukya or Solanki style) temple. It has a “Kailash Mahameru Prasad” form. The architect of the new Somnath temple was Prabhashankarbhai Oghadbhai Sompura, who worked on recovering and integrating the old recoverable parts with the new design in the late 1940s and early 1950s. The new Somnath temple is intricately carved, two level temple with pillared mandapa and 212 relief panels.
The temple’s śikhara, or main spire, is 15 metres (49 ft) in height above the sanctum, and it has an 8.2-metre-tall flag pole at the top.
The intricately carved honey-colored (further accentuated at sunset) Somnath temple on the western edge of Gujarat is believed to be the place where the first of the twelve holy jyotirlingas emerged in India – a spot where Shiva appeared as a fiery column of light. The temples lies at the meeting of Kapila, Hiran and Sarasvati rivers and the waves of the Arabian Sea ebb and flow touching the shore on which it is constructed. The ancient temple’s timeline can be traced from 649 BC but is believed to be older than that. The present form was reconstructed in 1951.
The setting sun transforms the temple sign, in Hindi script, painted with Indian flag colors by casting a golden glow.
The Somnath temple is a Hindu temple located in Gujarat, India. It is one of the most sacred pilgrimage sites for Hindus and is believed to be first among the twelve jyotirlinga shrines of Shiva. We visited the temple at sunset and the golden glow of the sun’s rays is evidenced in all images.
Photography is not allowed on the temple site so we had to access a walkway along the ocean to capture the images.
The national theater in San Jose is one of the most beautiful buildings in Costa Rica with great importance to the cultural and historical aspect of the country. It opened in 1897, representing Costa Rica’s high degree of fine art and is a grand display of neo-classical architecture.
The culture and history is mirrored in the architecture of the republic of Costa Rica. The pre-Columbian influence, and a colourful blend of Mesoamerican, Central American and Spanish architecture is seen. These historical buildings are perfectly complimented with the new age contemporary architecture in Costa Rica.
Below is a modern Hilton hotel very close to a traditionally designed building in San Jose. Right in the front of the hotel is Plaza Juan Mora Fernandez. Juan Mora Fernández was Costa Rica’s first elected head of state in 1825. He is remembered for instituting land reform, and he followed a progressive course.
More than fifty years ago, Delaware native Henry Francis du Pont began welcoming visitors to his childhood home, Winterthur, to see its magnificent gardens and view his amazing collection of decorative arts and architecture. Visitors to Winterthur Museum and Gardens experience a 175 room mansion and will be amazed by the nature and extent of its holdings.
Trinity Episcopal Church, Wilmington, Delaware was built in the 1880s. It is a traditional English Gothic structure that features beautiful stained glass windows. The exterior walls are made of rough, dressed Avondale stone, and the church has a high, steeped roof. The church’s tower and spire were added in 1925. Twelve bronze bells in the tower chime the hour.
When you roam around the squares, ramble the streets and lanes in the historic and Victorian Districts in Savannah, the color, size, texture and charm of so many doors invite you to stop on the sidewalk and take a closer look.
More than 40 percent of the buildings and homes found in Savannah, Georgia have architectural or historical significance. The restoration of these structures is often undertaken by passionate individuals in strict accordance with the rules and regulations put forth by the Savannah Historic Foundation. Restoration of historic buildings has thrived here especially since the addition of the Savannah College of Art and Design in the late 1970s.
Opened on January 2, 1906, City Hall is the first building constructed by the citizens of Savannah expressly and exclusively to serve as the seat of municipal government. A spectacular architectural masterpiece, City Hall features a domed roof that rises 70 feet into the air. It was originally made in copper but was gilded in 1987 with sheets of 23-karat gold leaf.
Considered by the North Carolina Department of Archives and History to possess the “finest Queen Anne interior styling in the entire state,” the Harper House of Hickory also has a restored landscape, including period gardens. Several notable families have occupied the Harper House. The Harper Family was the last of seven families to occupy the Shuler-Harper House, as some locals still refer to it.
The architecture of Corinth Reformed Church, Hickory, North Carolina is reminiscent of a fine European cathedral. The exterior of the building is of gray Georgia granite with Indiana limestone trim. The spire is of extruded and structural aluminum rising 164 ft. 6 in. from the terrace floor at the entrance. The belfry below the spire is built up of carved and molded limestone tracery, giving a lacy and ethereal feeling to the church tower. The main entrance is of limestone having carvings similar to those found on French Gothic churches.