The Currituck Beach Lighthouse stands out for its distinctive red exterior. This design was intentional, to set the Currituck Lighthouse apart from its Outer Banks neighbors. After completion, the lighthouse was left unpainted, allowing visitors to marvel at the sheer number of bricks involved in its construction.
The Stone Arch Bridge, Minneapolis, Minnesota, was built between 1882 and 1883. Originally intended to be built as an iron bridge spanning the Mississippi at Nicollet Island, it was discovered that pursuing that design would be detrimental to St Anthony Falls’ eroding sandstone. The design of the bridge was pioneering and the signature arches were designed to account for the falls and the surrounding topography.
The Stone Arch Bridge is a former railroad bridge crossing the Mississippi River at Saint Anthony Falls in downtown Minneapolis, Minnesota. It is the only arched bridge made of stone on the entire length of the Mississippi River.
The Pillsbury A-Mill, seen here behind the Stone Arch Bridge, held the title of largest flour mill in the world for 40 years. Completed in 1881, it was owned by Pillsbury and operated two of the most powerful direct-drive waterwheels ever built, each generating 1,200 horsepower (895 kW). The mill still stands today on the east side of the Mississippi River and has been converted into resident artist lofts.
Cars speed past the Basilica of Saint Mary oblivious of its beauty.
The Basilica of Saint Mary is a Roman Catholic minor basilica located in downtown Minneapolis, Minnesota. It was the first basilica established in the United States.
Mission Santa Barbara, also known as Santa Barbara Mission, is a Spanish mission founded by the Franciscan order near present-day Santa Barbara, California. It was founded on December 4, 1786 as the tenth mission for the religious conversion of the indigenous local Chumash-Barbareño tribe of Native American people.
The Confederate Memorial Carving on Stone Mountain depicts three Confederate leaders of the Civil War, President Jefferson Davis and Generals Robert E. Lee and Thomas J. “Stonewall” Jackson (and their favorite horses, “Blackjack”, “Traveller”, and “Little Sorrel”, respectively).
The entire carved surface measures 1.57 acres (6,400 m2). The carving of the three men towers 400 feet (120 m) above the ground, measures 76 by 158 feet (23 by 48 m), and is recessed 42 feet (13 m) into the mountain. The deepest point of the carving is at Lee’s right elbow, which is 12 feet (3.7 m) to the mountain’s surface.