An impressive altar at Christ Church Cathedral of the diocese of Oxford. It is also the chapel of Christ Church at the University of Oxford. This dual role as cathedral and college chapel is unique in the Church of England. The Cathedral was built around 1546.
A chain blocks the entrance to a door but can’t hide the beauty of ornate, stone arches at Duke Chapel in North Carolina
A small window framed by stones and with light shining through the glass at Duke University Chapel in North Carolina
The 77 Duke Chapel windows were designed and constructed over a three-year period by 15 artists and craftsmen. They are constructed from over one million pieces of glass, imported from England, France, and Belgium and varying in thickness between 1/8 and 3/16 inch. The largest window measures 17.5 by 38 feet, and the smallest measures just 14 by 20 inches.
Duke Chapel houses three large pipe organs, each constructed in a different style, which are used for religious services, ceremonies, recitals, and the study of organ performance.
The Benjamin N. Duke Memorial Organ, dedicated in 1976, was built by the Dutch Flentrop Company in the 18th century styles of Dutch and French organs. Housed in the arch between the narthex and the nave, it contains 5,033 pipes controlled by four keyboards and a pedal keyboard. The organ’s main case, in which most of the pipes are housed, is built of solid mahogany and decorated with various colors and gold leaf. 40 feet tall and 4.5 feet deep, the main case is situated on a solid oak balcony overlooking the nave.
Duke University Chapel, like many Christian churches and cathedrals, is cruciform, with a nave that measures 291 feet long, 63 feet wide, and 73 feet high. The walls and vaults of the nave and transepts are constructed from Guastavino tile and were sealed in 1976 to increase sound reverberation and enhance the sound of the organ.
Duke University Chapel is a chapel located at Duke University in Durham, North Carolina. Constructed from 1930 to 1932, the Chapel seats about 1,800 people and stands 210 feet tall, making it one of the tallest buildings in Durham County. It is built in the Collegiate Gothic style, characterized by its large stones, pointed arches, and ribbed vaults.