The Stone Arch Bridge, Minneapolis, Minnesota ceased to be used as a railroad bridge in 1978, and after a period of disuse, was repaired and adapted in the early 1990s to its present use. The bike and walking trails across the bridge are integrated into the city’s park and trail system, and form part of the St Anthony Falls Heritage Trail, which includes interpretive plaques describing the history of the area.
The Stone Arch Bridge, Minneapolis, Minnesota, was built between 1882 and 1883. Originally intended to be built as an iron bridge spanning the Mississippi at Nicollet Island, it was discovered that pursuing that design would be detrimental to St Anthony Falls’ eroding sandstone. The design of the bridge was pioneering and the signature arches were designed to account for the falls and the surrounding topography.
The Stone Arch Bridge is a former railroad bridge crossing the Mississippi River at Saint Anthony Falls in downtown Minneapolis, Minnesota. It is the only arched bridge made of stone on the entire length of the Mississippi River.
The Pillsbury A-Mill, seen here behind the Stone Arch Bridge, held the title of largest flour mill in the world for 40 years. Completed in 1881, it was owned by Pillsbury and operated two of the most powerful direct-drive waterwheels ever built, each generating 1,200 horsepower (895 kW). The mill still stands today on the east side of the Mississippi River and has been converted into resident artist lofts.
Multiple bridges over the Mississippi River connect various areas of Minneapolis
The Mississippi River runs through Minneapolis creating a need for multiple bridges. The image below is of the Third Avenue Bridge over Saint Anthony Falls.
Linn Cove Viaduct – this 1243-foot concrete segmental bridge on the Blue Ridge Parkway snakes around the slopes of Grandfather Mountain in North Carolina. It was completed in 1987 at a cost of $10 million and was the last section of the Blue Ridge Parkway to be finished.
A lighted bridge across the bay from Panama City at blue hour