A lone boat traverses the harbor at sunset, probably late to dock.
As we end our series of images from New Bern, North Carolina, we hope that the residents and businesses severely affected by Hurricane Florence recover and rebuild this beautiful town to its original state.
The Blades House, also known as the W.B. Blades House, is a historic house located in New Bern, North Carolina. Built in 1907 for lumber magnate William B. Blades, the home is among the state’s finest combinations of Queen Anne style with Colonial Revival details by prolific local architect Herbert Woodley Simpson. On January 14, 1972, it was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
Christ Episcopal Church and Parish House is a historic Episcopal church located in New Bern, North Carolina. It was built in 1871, incorporating the brick shell of the previous church built in 1824. It is a brick church building in a restrained Gothic Revival style.
New Bern – Christ Episcopal Church
Christ Episcopal Church Stained Glass Window Reflections
Centenary Methodist Church is a historic church located in New Bern, North Carolina. It was built in 1904-1905, and is an irregularly shaped, brick multiple-use church complex. The front facade includes an entrance five-bay arcade beneath a low conical roof flanked by square corner towers of unequal height.
It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1972
“Bern” is the old Germanic word for bear and the bear came to be the symbol of the city. The bear symbol was passed along to Bern’s sister city, New Bern, and still serves as the city’s mascot with bear flags and statues featured throughout the town.
City Hall, also known as the Municipal Building, is a historic municipal building in New Bern, North Carolina. It was originally built in 1897 by the federal government to house a post office, federal courthouse, and custom house.
New Bern is one of the oldest towns in North Carolina, second only to the neighboring Inner Banks town of Bath, and was founded in 1710 by mainly Swiss and Palatine German immigrants. The settlement was named after the colonists’ original home, “Bern.” In the late 1770s, the town served as the first capitol of independent and post-Revolutionary War North Carolina, with Tryon Palace housing the governor’s mansion and political center.
New Bern was recently devastated by Hurricane Florence. When the storm howled through the city at the convergence of the Trent and Neuse rivers, it flooded homes, businesses and streets for days.
We had visited New Bern a few weeks before Hurricane Florence and were fortunate to capture its beauty that we are sharing here.