Khambhat, in east-central Gujarat state, west-central India, lies at the head of the Gulf of Khambhat (Cambay) and the mouth of the Mahi River.
The town was mentioned in 1293 by the Venetian traveler Marco Polo, who referred to it as a busy port. It was still a prosperous port in the late 15th century, when Muslims controlled Gujarat. As the gulf silted up, however, the port became insignificant. The town was the capital of the princely state of Cambay, which was incorporated into Kaira (later Kheda) district in 1949.
There are several structures from the past, including this building, that display architecture from that era.