Madison Square in Savannah, Georgia was designed in 1837 and named to honor James Madison, the fourth president of the United States. In the center stands a monument of Sergeant William Jasper who fell during the Siege of Savannah in 1779. The Green-Meldrim House was built in 1850 for cotton merchant Charles Green. In 1892 the home was purchased by Judge Peter Meldrim whose heirs later sold it to St. John’s Episcopal Church (formed in 1841). The home’s amazing past includes a brief residency by General Sherman after he took the city in 1864.