Savannah – Chippewa Square

Chippewa Square in Savannah, Georgia was designed in 1815 and named to commemorate the Battle of Chippewa in the War of 1812. In the center stands a bronze statue of the colony’s founder, General James Edward Oglethorpe, who faces south protecting Savannah from the Spanish in Florida. The Eastman-Stoddard House is a 12,000 sq ft Greek Revival Mansion which overlooks Chippewa Square. Although construction of this Greek revival mansion was started in 1844 for Moses Eastman, a local silversmith, it was not completed until 1847 for John Stoddard. 

Chippewa Square is also known as Forrest Gump Square, where the bus stop scenes from the Oscar winning motion picture were filmed on the north end of the square.

Savannah – Chippewa Square