Walnut Street and Market Street bridges over Susquehanna River leading to Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.
The Walnut Street Bridge also known as The People’s Bridge, is a truss bridge that spanned the Susquehanna River in Harrisburg until 1996. Built in 1890, it is the oldest remaining bridge connecting Harrisburg’s downtown and Riverfront Park with City Island. Since flooding in 1996 collapsed sections of the western span, it no longer connects to the West Shore.
The Market Street Bridge is a stone arch bridge that spans the Susquehanna River between Harrisburg and Wormleysburg, Pennsylvania. The current structure is the third bridge built at its current location and is the second oldest remaining bridge in Harrisburg.
An often unheralded aspect of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania is the spectacular bridges that cross the Susquehanna River. All of these bridges were major engineering feats when they were built and are very long.
A bench view of the bridges over the Susquehanna River
The Walnut Street Bridge is one of about nine bridges on the Susquehanna River. Although it doesn’t fully cross the river, it still is one of the longest and most popular pedestrian bridges in the country. Its still-intact eastern spans have been lined with lights and the steel frame has been painted a luscious blue color. The bridge is also listed in the National Registrar of Historic places and the American Society of Civil Engineer’s Historic Bridge Journal. Today, it is the oldest surviving bridge (in near original condition) over the Susquehanna and is an important cultural icon for the people of Harrisburg.