Lakshmi Villas Palace, Vadodara was built by Maharaja Sayajirao Gaekwad III in 1890 at a cost of 180,000 British Pounds. Major Charles Mant was the architect. It is reputed to have been the largest private dwelling built till date and four times the size of Buckingham Palace.
At the time of construction it boasted the most modern amenities such as elevators and the interior is reminiscent of a large European country house. It remains the residence of the Royal Family, who continue to be held in high esteem by the residents of Vadodara.
Its ornate Darbar Hall, which is sometimes the venue of music concerts and other cultural events, has a Venetian mosaic floor, Belgium stained glass windows and walls with intricate mosaic decorations. Outside of the Darbar Hall is a courtyard of water fountains. The palace houses a remarkable collection of old armory and sculptures in bronze, marble and terracotta by Fellici.
The grounds were landscaped by William Goldring, a specialist from Kew Gardens.